Saturday, November 29, 2008

First Holiday at Lake Malawi - September 2008

Holiday!!!

My first holiday to relax at Lake Malawi at the Cape Maclear Lodge. The scene was breath taking from my room, restaurant and anywhere in between. Lake Malawi is about a 5 hour drive from where I live in Chileka. It is a fresh water lake and the fish of choice is Chombe a very moist and delicious treat!

I had the opportunity to go fishing, but was not able to catch anything. I later learned that night fishing would have been the way to go. While I did not catchany fish, the local fishermen who had fished all nisght stayed on the beach to sell their fresh catch with the locals and tourist. I was able to secure a cooler, the fishermen cleaned the fish packed them on ice and I was able to bring some back with me to share with local families.

Once there I visited the village of Mangochi where many children did not attend school. The local primary school had recently increased it's enrollment because the school received funding and is now able to provide 1 meal. It has served as a means to get the children in school to get their education. Most wore no shoes, their clothes were torn and unclean. They had joy just like any other children playing with friends and laughing and so many had the huge protruding belly. Their incredibly beautiful eyes piercing yours as they hoped for something to eat.

The guide Africk who took me around was able to interpret to me what they were saying as I engaged them in conversation. One child yelled out that he needed 2 exercise books for school. With that the whole group gathered around about 20 in number yelling how they too needed 2 exercise books. We were able to negotiate that they should go home because it was getting dark and we would meet on the next afternoon. I was able to locate 25 notebooks at a local market and when I gave the first little girl an exercise book she let a scream that echoed across the whole of Lake Malawi of joy and she danced and danced and took off running home to show her family her exercise book. You would have thought that I had given here a million dollars. That went on until all of the children had received an exercise book a total of 25. We had to flee the scene at that point because I didn't have anymore books and other children in the village were beginning to hear the sound of laughter and wanted to know what was happening.

When I visited the primary school the head teacher expressed his great need for supplies and financial support to run the school. He asked that I not forget about him.

Very near the village area was clinic that met the medical needs of the people.

I visited a crocodile conservatory, museum, Malawi national park and did a little sight seeing om my 5 day holiday. Mangoes were everywhere and plentiful!! I love mangoes. It was the season for mango. I learned that mangoes are from the family of poison ivy. After eating some one evening I woke up with a swollen face & eyes, with rash and itching. The natives explained that that was a typical response if you eat a mango that was not quite ripe. I have always loved mangoes and that was very disappointing for me.

The mosquitoes were out in numbers but antimalarial and insect repellent and mosquito net were my arsenal against them.

My holiday was wonderful. On the way as we took 5 hour drive back, I was thinking about the school, the children that I saw that were starving there and knowing that I could not be in every village at the same time. I made a commitment to help the head teacher at the school with some supplies and finances when possible.

I plan to keep my promise.


rswinton777@yahoo.com
www.rosettaswinton.weebly.com

Caring Community Development Coalition, Inc
www.caringcdc.com – donations are tax deductible
PO Box 669
Mt. Pleasant SC 29465
(843) 856-5060