Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Feet Touched African Soil of Malawi - What A Welcome - March 13, 2008

I left Charleston South Carolina March 10, 2008 and arrived in Malawi March 13, 2008 after an overnight stay in Johannesburg.

Malawi is known as the “Warm Heart Of Africa”. This was truly the case as I was greeted after arriving at the Chileka International Airport by Pastor’s James Phiri & Frank VanDyck of Kalibu Academy.

Pastor James arrived at the airport bearing a sign that read, “Kalibu Academy welcomes Rosetta Swinton”, so as you can see, the Malawian’s warm heart was already at work through Elder James’ greeting at the airport.

I was driven to the Kalibu Academy location in Chileka where the scene was painted by God Himself with the beauty and splendor of the immaculate school grounds and the mountain as it’s backdrop, it was truly heavenly! Once inside the administration building, I was received by Pastor Michael Howard, the schools founder and Head Master. Pastor Michael wears his heart and love for the students, missions and intercession openly in his day to day fathering of the school.

Pastor Michael Howard drove me to the Mission House where I would stay, located in Sigelege, Blantyre which is about a 35 minute drive from the school. A good portion of the drive is on non paved roads with large rocks and deep crevices in the roads that are just dirt. So, no more complaints about pot holes for me. The Sigelege Mission house where I live is also where the other missionaries meet for breakfast and dinner everyday. Currently, there are missionaries here from USA(2), Finland, Lithuania, Russia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Sweden. They each function in various capacities to work with the students and the villagers.

The weather is beautiful. The rainy season just ended and winter arrives in June. Facilities are not heated and the villagers will endure the cold once again.

I think I have landed in the Phillips Community of Mt. Pleasant South Carolina. It feels like I have gone back in time to when I was child in South Carolina.The people are warm and precious and the conditions are like those of my early childhood growing up in Mt. Pleasant SC.